Powered by Blogger.

Vegan Vegetable Curry | Recipe

 
Today's post is one of my favourite curry recipes; it's fragrant, super easy, and best of all, it's vegan! I have been trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into my diet and this recipe is definitely one of my favourites!
It doesn't take much effort - just some time to prep and then the hard part is over!

Here's the recipe!

YOU WILL NEED:
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium potatoes
Thumb-sized piece of ginger
Broccoli
Red bell pepper
Frozen peas
Coriander
1 cup of water
1 can of chickpeas
1 can of lentils
1 can of butter beans
1 can of coconut milk
Your favourite curry spices + salt and pepper to taste

So to start off I want to address the amount of cans! For the lentils, beans and chickpeas, you can obviously buy them dry and prepare them by soaking them in water overnight. When you're ready to cook, just rinse out the water and add them to the curry when needed. I used cans because I always have them on hand and it's much easier if I want to eat the curry that particular day.

Prepare the potatoes by peeling and chopping into equal bitesize pieces. Cut the stem from the broccoli and chop into equal bitesize pieces, doing the same for the bell pepper.

Chop the onion and garlic and set aside. Prepare the ginger by peeling and chopping very finely.

Melt some coconut oil in a medium to large pot. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and fry until the onions become translucent. Add the potatoes and chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the broccoli and bell peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

After 5 minutes, pour in the can of coconut milk and water, followed by your spices. I used 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp mixed herbs. Bring the curry to the boil, then lower the heat to low and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the butter beans and frozen peas and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. At this point add a handful of chopped coriander and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve your curry with rice or quinoa. I served mine with basmati rice and it tasted absolutely delicious! You can also serve it with naan bread, or chapatis or parathas.

I always make this curry when I want something filling and don't want to spend ages cooking. It stores well in the fridge for 2 days, so I always have lunch or dinner sorted. The vegetables are also customisable; you can add anything you want to add and it'll still taste amazing! Give it a go and see how you like it!